|10/9/2015 by mdc|
|In June 2015, the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy invited all members to complete its annual professional employment survey. There were 2,266 respondents to this yearly survey, representing 26% of those invited. The survey aims to provide an insight into the current state of the minerals professional employment market, as well as the future outlook. The 2015 survey summary results show:|
1. The unemployment rate is 16.2% for minerals professionals based in Australia (up from 12.2% in 2014). Globally the unemployment rate is 14.9%.
2. 16% of the workforce experienced voluntary or forced redundancy in the last 12 months.
3. 55% have been unemployed for more than six months (30% for more than 12 months).
4. The mining engineering profession has experienced the largest increase in the number of unemployed professionals.
5. 37% of professionals have experienced pressure to work additional and unpaid overtime.
See report for details.